Friday, July 05, 2013

. . .and the sky is gray

We moved into the new house on May 8th, with everything going well.  We've been here now for a little over 8 weeks and have been enjoying living in a larger house.  Megan has made friends with several girls her age in the new neighborhood, and Ian with a boy down the street.  We've been taking lots of walks and bike rides too.

The old house on Loyala still hasn't sold yet though, and the furlough days start next week, so money is going to be tight over the next three months.  We're still cutting the old yard and Melissa and I always talk about the feelings we have when we go inside the house, all the memories from the years of living there.  We sat on the old deck last Saturday night and watched the Huber 4th of July fireworks like we did in previous years.

We stayed home on the 4th yesterday, both kids have been diagnosed with the whooping cough.  I was kicked out of work Wednesday at 1 and then today at 11 in the morning.  Makes for a nice, long weekend.

I made the colossal mistake of getting the kids a terrier puppy last Thursday.  We kept him for a week, but I sold him via Craigslist today to two young college girls who seemed thrilled to take him.  Megan named him Toby, and he was a sweet, loving puppy.  But my allergies grew worse the longer Toby was in the house, I hated the constant stress of dealing with a high energy, untrained chew machine in our new house.  So I broke the news of Toby's new owners to the kids and Megan had a meltdown, crying her eyes out despite all her anxious behavior over the last week around the dog.  I think it was my worst day as a parent.

Melissa left for work earlier tonight and the kids and I rode over to a local school's playground.  They're now watching a Transformers cartoon in the living room as I type this post.  We took them to the drive-ins for the first time this Wednesday night to watch Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University.  They kids made it maybe 10 minutes into the 2nd movie before crashing hard, and we got home around 12:30.

My reading has gone through the roof this spring and early summer.  I just haven't been gaming on the computer as much as before, and I've decided after the move to slow my book collection's growth rate by using the local library.  So I've borrowed the Saxon Chronicles series and a few others.  I've probably read close to 10 books since moving into the new house.

No comments: